Smart bathroom mirrors are the hottest new tech-making waves in DIY home automation circles. Who wouldn't want an interactive mirror to greet you each morning with personalized news and weather reports, control your smart home devices, and even analyze your skin and outfit for the day ahead?
While pre-built smart mirrors can cost a pretty penny, creating your own DIY smart mirror hack is doable with the right tools and components. For just a couple hundred bucks and some spare time, you can build your touch-screen wonder mirror that feels straight out of a sci-fi movie. Let's get into the latest smart mirror ideas and innovations that are easy to recreate at home!
Give Your Smart Bathroom Mirror an Audio Brain with Voice Assistant Hacks
One of the best smart mirror hacks is integrating a voice assistant like Alexa or Google Home into the actual mirror itself. This lets your DIY creation provide hands-free functionality using basic voice commands. Here are some quick tips for giving your smart mirror an audio brain:
- Use a Raspberry Pi microcomputer - the brains of most DIY mirrors. Pi boards have input ports that allow connecting external mics.
- Install Alexa or Google Assistant software using a tutorial like this [link to tutorial]. There are pre-built software packages for the major voice assistants.
- Wire and mount a microphone - USB mics work well. Position it prominently at the bottom or top of the frame.
- Optimize audio quality - Add a small speaker for better sound if needed. Adjust mic levels and positions.
- Program custom voice commands - Teach your mirror to control your smart home scenes, give weather/calendar updates, tell jokes, and more with some basic coding!
Elevate Your Frame Game with Display and Design Hacks
Of course, a smart mirror isn't very useful without a…well, mirror! The two most popular options are adding an LCD behind a two-way mirror, or getting a standalone monitor and framing it with a custom surround. Whichever route you go, dressing up your smart mirror's frame will take it to the next level.
Some frame design hacks to try:
- Backlighting - Outline the frame with LED strips to give a cool glow effect. Goes great with wood frames.
- Unique materials - Make frames from reclaimed barnwood, pipes, concrete, and other unexpected materials for modern appeal.
- Cut-outs - Add laser-cut geometric shapes and patterns to acrylic or wood frames to accent the display.
- Repurposed items - An old picture frame can be retrofitted to hold a monitor or two-way glass. Vintage suitcases, windows, and bookshelves also make for fun diy smart mirror frames to show off your handiwork!
Take Your Smart Bathroom Mirror to the Next Dimension with Interactive Hacks
Once you have the basics down, it’s time for the fun part - making your smart mirror uniquely yours with custom hacks! Here are some rad ideas to make your magic mirror stand out:
- Display info like weather, maps, your calendar, smart home controls, and any other data you can imagine, right on the mirror.
- Facial recognition can show personalized info based on identifying different household members. Use OpenCV and face datasets to code this cool feature.
- Animations and visualizations make your mirror react to voice commands and music. Spin up some far-out visuals with Processing and other graphic engines.
- Video call integration - Imagine your mirror doubling as a video chat screen! Webcams and conference call software make this possible.
- Smart home and IFTTT integration - Control your smart lights, thermostat, and other connected devices right from the mirror. The sky's the limit when you connect everything!
Resources to Realize Your Own Smart Bathroom Mirror Dreams
Hopefully, these smart mirror hack ideas have inspired you to take on this super fun DIY automation project! Here are a few more resources to make your smart mirror dreams a reality:
- Raspberry Pi kits for smart mirrors - Kits like this one have all the hardware you need (and detailed online tutorials on how to use them), taking the guesswork out of part selection.
- Pine64 boards - Lower-cost Raspberry Pi alternatives perfect for installing home automation software.
- Smart mirror software options - Check out MagicMirror and alternatives for getting your mirror's "brain" up and running.
- Pre-made mirrors - If going fully DIY seems daunting, there are products like Sevenhugs Smart Mirror (discontinued) that are designed to be hacked and customized.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to tricking out your smart mirror with cutting-edge home automation hacks suited to your unique needs. As voice assistants, displays, and IoT gadgets advance rapidly, today's high-tech mirrors make sci-fi appear downright passé. What will you imagine in the looking glass of tomorrow? The only limit is your creativity! If you require any further tech details about your smart mirror project, send us a detailed message, and one of our techy writers will contact you to assist!
Disclaimer: “This post contains affiliate link(s). An affiliate link means we may earn advertising or referral fees (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase through this link. We only recommend products we genuinely trust and believe are helpful to the reader”