With remote and hybrid work becoming the norm, having the right communication platforms is more important than ever for consultants and project managers. The digital landscape offers an overwhelming array of options to connect with clients, collaborate with team members, manage workflows, and more. Choosing the right platforms can maximize productivity and position you for career success.
This guide explores the key features, benefits, and potential salary impact of the most essential tools for management consultants, IT consultants, business consultants, project managers, and other client-facing roles.
Video Conferencing: Zoom
Video meetings have become ubiquitous for consulting sessions, project standups, client calls, interviews, and more. Of the various video conferencing options, Zoom stands out for its reliability, ease of use, and extensive features.
With Zoom, you can:
- Schedule and host video meetings, webinars, and conference calls from desktop, mobile, or conference rooms
- Share high-quality video, audio, and screen-sharing
- Record sessions and generate automated transcripts
- Integrate with calendar apps like Google and Outlook for one-click joining
- Hold large meetings with up to 1,000 participants, with the additional capability to livestream to large audiences
- Breakout into smaller groups and move seamlessly between them
The platform offers robust security capabilities, including end-to-end encryption, waiting rooms, and password protection. Zoom offers flexible plans based on meeting size, with a free basic plan for hosting 40-minute sessions for up to 100 participants.
According to Glassdoor, proficiency with Zoom can boost salaries by $3,000 to $12,000+ for consultants and project managers. It's an essential platform for high-quality client communication and collaboration.
Team Messaging: Slack
Instant messaging has become a game-changer for real-time team communication. Slack is the leading business team chat app, making it easy to discuss client projects, manage workflows, share files, integrate apps, and more.
Key benefits of Slack include:
- Organized channels for topics, projects, teams, and client accounts
- Robust search to easily find messages, files, channels, and people
- Integrations with popular apps like Google Drive, Trello, Asana, and Zoom
- Options for direct messaging, voice, and video calls
- Customizable notifications ensure you never miss important messages
- Secure enterprise-grade capabilities and administrative controls
Slack offers a free basic plan along with paid tiers to suit business needs. Expertise with Slack can boost salaries by $2,000 to $8,000+ for consultants and project managers, according to Glassdoor data. It's a must-have for team communication and collaboration.
Project Management: Asana
To deliver successful projects, consultants and managers need an effective way to plan, organize, track, and report on work. Asana is one of the most popular project management platforms, providing an array of features to streamline processes.
Key advantages of Asana include:
- Customizable dashboards to visualize workflows
- Flexible task management with assignments, due dates, and statuses
- File sharing and commenting capabilities
- Creation of reusable templates
- Timeline and Gantt chart views of projects
- Powerful reporting on progress
- Options to follow projects for notifications
- Robust integrations with calendars, email, Slack, Dropbox, and more
Asana offers free and paid plans suitable for all project needs. Proficiency in Asana can increase salaries by $2,000 to $10,000+ according to Glassdoor data. It's an indispensable system for managing consulting and client work.
With its wide range of capabilities to plan, execute, and report on client deliverables, Asana is an essential platform for successful consulting and project management.
Email remains a primary means of formal professional communication for scheduling, sharing documents, providing status updates, and more. While various email platforms are available, Gmail stands out as a top choice for consultants and project managers for several key reasons:
- Powerful organization with labels, filters, and search
- 15GB+ of free storage
- Integrations with Google Suite apps like Drive, Calendar, Meet, and more
- Shared inbox options for team collaboration
- Robust security features, including 2-step verification
- Customizable swipe actions on mobile
- Offline support for productivity on the go
For client-facing roles like consulting, having a professional Gmail address is preferred over generic platforms or company email domains. According to Glassdoor, Gmail expertise can increase salaries by $1,000 to $4,000+. It continues to be an essential communication tool for the digital workplace.
Virtual Whiteboard: Miro
For design collaboration, workshops, brainstorming, and visual thinking, Miro is an invaluable platform. As a flexible virtual whiteboard, Miro enables consultants and project teams to ideate, organize thoughts, and collaborate visually in real-time or asynchronously.
With Miro, you can:
- Create unlimited whiteboards for any purpose
- Add sticky notes, shapes, connectors, images, embeds, and more
- Integrate popular apps like Jira, Figma, Dropbox, and Zoom
- @mention colleagues for notifications
- Assign action items and due dates
- Add columns for Kanban-style project views
- Handle workshops and design sprints seamlessly
- Share and export boards with one click
Both the free and paid plans are available. According to Glassdoor data, Miro skills can boost salaries by $2,000 to $5,000+ for consultants and project professionals. It facilitates highly effective remote collaboration.
FAQs about Communication Platforms for Consultants and Project Managers:
What is a communication platform?
A communication platform is any technology, software, or system used to enable communication and collaboration between individuals or groups. Popular examples include email, instant messaging, video conferencing, project management software, and team chat apps.
What are examples of communication programs?
Common communication program examples include email clients like Gmail or Outlook, team messaging apps like Slack or Microsoft Teams, video conferencing tools like Zoom or Skype, and project management platforms like Asana or Trello.
What is communicating through online platforms?
Communicating through online platforms refers to any web-based technology used to communicate virtually, such as video calls, chat apps, email, or collaborating in real-time through shared documents and screens.
Is email a communication platform?
Yes, email is considered a communication platform. It enables written communication and the sharing of files and documents. Email remains a primary communication tool for most businesses.
Is social media a good platform for communication?
Social media can facilitate communication but is better suited for broadcasting information and engaging audiences. For collaborative two-way communication, dedicated tools like Slack or Asana tend to be more effective.
Which software helps with communication?
Popular software that facilitates seamless communication includes team chat apps like Slack, project management tools like Asana, video conferencing services like Zoom, and whiteboarding platforms like Miro.
What are collaboration and communication platforms?
Collaboration and communication platforms refer to software, apps, and services that enable individuals and teams to communicate, share files and feedback, assign tasks, track project workflows, video conference, and work together productively.
What is the most common tool for communication?
The most common communication tools used in business are email and team messaging apps. Video conferencing, project management software, and phone calls are also ubiquitous communication platforms.
The Bottom Line
Selecting the right mix of digital tools is essential for consultants, project managers, and client-facing roles. Platforms like Zoom, Slack, Asana, Gmail, and Miro provide indispensable benefits for communication, collaboration, productivity, and career success. Mastering these five solutions can enhance delivery for clients while showcasing professionalism and earning them higher salaries.
In today's digital landscape, leverage technology to your advantage. With the right platforms, you can accomplish amazing things while advancing your consulting or project management career.